More Flags, More Pride?

Lauren Gaylor

In honor of LGBT History Month, State High hung up Pride flags in the HUB. Flags such as the pansexual, gay pride, bisexual, and polysexual flags are displayed. “I feel like the school didn’t do much research about the flags and their meanings. They searched ‘LGBTQ flags’ and did the top ten that showed up,” senior Mira Bigatel said.

Lauren Gaylor, Staff Writer

In honor of LGBT History Month, State High hung up pride flags in the HUB. Flags such as the pansexual, gay gride, bisexual, and polysexual flags are displayed. “I feel like the school didn’t do much research about the flags and their meanings,” senior Mira Bigatel said. “They searched ‘LGBTQ flags’ and did the top ten that showed up.”

LGBT History Month is an annual month-long celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender history, gay rights, civil rights movements, role models, and the community as a whole. The celebration is specific to the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. In the U.S. and Canada, it is celebrated in October along with National Coming Out Day on October 11th.

LGBT History Month was first celebrated in 1994 and originated from the United States. Founded by Missouri High School teacher Rodney Wilson, Wilson served on the first committee and chose October as the celebrated month. October also commemorated the first National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights in 1979. The events soon received backlash from Conservative students. “They say they want everyone treated equally, yet they get a whole month to themselves and now get flags in the lunchroom,” senior Tyler Dunlap said.

Not only is it celebrated in the U.S., but it’s also celebrated in countries all over the world including Scotland, Australia, Italy, Berlin, Greenland, and others. In Sydney, Australia, their summer Mardi Gras has been an LGBT event that people look forward to. It is often referred to as the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. “I feel great about it,” Simone Jacklin, a Queensland resident and former State High student, said. “I’ve never been to the parade before but from what I hear, it’s a very empowering day.”

In the UK, LGBT History Month is celebrated in February to go with the abolishment of Section 23 in 2003. Section 23 stated that no one “shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality” or “promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship.”

“Be gay if you want to,” senior Lexi Pupo said. “I don’t care; as long as you’re not hurting little kids and animals, I don’t care. This whole Section 23 thing is dumb and I’m happy it was abolished.”

Although controversy has surfaced, State High is still making an effort to include everyone, regardless of identity.