How Are Students Feeling About the Switch To Remote Learning?

Photo/Kate Hooper

All students will be learning in the fully remote model until Jan. 11.

Kate Hooper, Staff Writer

State College Area School District schools have continued to stay fully remote in response to local COVID cases rising. The fully remote learning module is a significant change for many students, and it begs the question: how are students feeling about remote learning, and how is it affecting their mental health?

For certain students, this shift is not much of a change. Those who were fully remote before the switch didn’t have as large of an adjustment to make in comparison to in-person students. Freshman Saylor Milhomme has been fully remote from the beginning of the school year, and for her, the situation didn’t bring much of a change. 

“Since I was remote from the beginning I feel the same way I did at the start,” Milhomme said. 

Students who were previously in-person have a different story about the switch. The constant switching from going to school every other day to staying at home each day is something in-person people are struggling with. 

“It is stressful to have to keep switching between the two learning formats, especially with how long it takes to adjust to one or the other,” freshman Violet Doyle said. Doyle was previously a hybrid learner who went to school every other day. 

With the continuation of remote learning, students, parents, and teachers are concerned about mental health. Having the motivation to do work can be a struggle for many students. 

“I find myself less motivated and more likely to procrastinate,” Doyle said. “It is difficult to be productive.” 

However, while remote learning poses many challenges, there is an upside. 

“I think it makes learning easier for everyone,” Milhomme explained. “I find it easier because everyone can participate easily.” 

Many found that having all students in the same place makes the learning environment feel more like a community. It’s easier to have conversations and everyone is on the same page.

Another big change brought on by remote learning is students’ learning environments. Being at home can alter someone’s mindset. The line between school and home blurs, making it difficult for some to stay focused. 

“I’m tempted to lie on my bed and go on my phone,” Doyle said. 

Finding motivation and listening during class becomes difficult because many students might be on their phones during class and lying in bed. Many students have been experiencing this because they are not in a classroom.

Remote learning was a big transition for all students, whether they were previously in-person or fully remote. While the change certainly brings many difficulties for a number of students, the decision was made to keep community members safe.