Tri-M Vocalists Win Hearts on Valentine’s Day

Adrita Talukder

Seniors Nora Goudie, Emily Stoller, Madeline Miller, and Layla Thornton sing to senior Sophia Bills.

Avery Bopp, Staff Writer

Love was in the air the week of Feb. 14 at State High as Vocal Valentines were delivered from classroom to classroom on Valentine’s Day. This State High Valentine’s Day tradition is organized by the Tri-M Music Honors Society, which began selling Vocal Valentines early on in February.

The Valentines were a big hit amongst students and teachers around the building.

“It was really funny, and my classmates thought it was entertaining. They sang a One Direction song to me and performed and walked all around the class, and they all loved it,” freshman Lauren Marshall shared after receiving a Vocal Valentine.

Even before the songs were performed, excitement was high.

“I think it’s a great idea,” freshman Addison Hertzberg said. Hertzberg purchased valentines for two people in hopes to spread some smiles—and embarrassment. Others shared the same ideas.

“It wastes class time, plus it’s really funny,” joked freshman Sam Nelson, whose main goal was to fluster her best friend. She added, “I hope they laugh with me.”

Hertzberg agreed with Nelson, believing that receiving a song would be entertaining.

“I would think it’d be very fun to have people sing to you,” Hertzberg said.

There was a wide variety of songs and styles being performed by the many quartets, with classics like “For the Longest Time” by Billy Joel and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” by Elton John being among the top songs requested.

While the event was pulled off successfully, it took a lot of preparation and planning to make it possible.

“First thing we had to do was organize the quartets themselves, and we did that through an audition process in coordination with the choir teacher, Mr. Clayton,” shared senior Sammy Hallacher, president of  Tri-M. “We assigned a conductor for each quartet and they would lead rehearsals individually until they were ready.”

Hallacher estimated that around 35 people tried out, and 28 people ended up in quartets. Junior Madeleine Christopher, a quartet leader, shared what prompted her to audition.

“It’s a really fun way to get out there and present yourself as a music kid,” Christopher said.

Hallacher reflected on the event, sharing his reaction to the support choir students received from the student body.

“I actually forgot how much support Vocal Valentines actually had, especially with the teachers; I was surprised how many were excited to see quartets interrupt their class,” Hallacher said.

The money raised from the hundreds of Vocal Valentines sold will go towards the Tri-M funds. With the work of the vocalists and students’ enthusiasm for giving and receiving vocal valentines, this lighthearted Valentine’s Day celebration is one to remember.