Let’s Just Go With The Flow!

Period products stocked by Go With The Flow. Photo courtesy of Ava Krebs.
Ava Krebs

People have periods. Periods are very natural and vital functions of the body. However, they are often stereotyped as disgusting, so people often shy away from talking about them. The reality is that periods are inevitable and are essential; it needs to be talked about and people should feel comfortable when talking about their periods. People at schools should not have to search the school for period products or even go without products, which is what the two young student advisors are fighting for. Go With The Flow will hopefully expand this year.

Go With The Flow is a non-profit organization. Isabel Olson and Ava Krebs are the State High student advisors of Go With The Flow and they have been very gracious to continue this club that is helping support young girls and women by stocking period products in schools and fighting against period poverty.

Go With The Flow was started several years ago by a former student, Isabelle Snyder, and is still thriving today.

This year, some exciting things are happening for this club. Olson and Krebs are reaching out to different buildings to provide them with resources. 

“We are trying to reach out to stock Delta and hopefully the middle schools with supplies,” Olson said. They are currently reaching out to new places and are always looking for new places to help fight against the stigma. As of right now they are reaching out to very local schools.

“I am currently in touch with all of the middle school principals in the area and I am dropping off products to Mount Nittany Middle School tomorrow,” Krebs said. 

Olson and Krebs seem to thoroughly enjoy running this organization. Olson is hopeful for the rest of the year, and has many things she wants to do in the upcoming year.

“I hope to supply period products obviously, but also change the way periods are viewed,” Olson said. “There is such a stigma around them and they can be viewed from such a negative lens; I feel like it is crucial for girls to feel comfortable about their periods because everyone has one, so I look forward to reaching out and informing more people about periods, and avoiding those stigmas.” 

Olson seems to be very excited for what she wants to do this year. Krebs also shared what she is looking forward to, which is very similar to Olson’s hopes for the year.

“I am very excited to be able to reach out to the middle schools and hopefully Delta this year,” Krebs said. “Everything is going well so far, so I am hoping for a great year.”

Olson had one last thing to say, which she explained as “kind of cheesy” but very sweet.

“I would like to mention how amazing of a leader Ava Krebs is; she is not only someone I am working with on this project but also my best friend in the world. She is not only a very inspiring person, but the most perfect person to have behind a project like this at the school,” Olson said. 

Overall, Olson and Krebs have built a great friendship and are looking forward to meeting new people and expanding the club this year!