MTO Sandwiches — A Healthy Option?

State High’s Sub Sandwich Bar Review
MTO Sandwiches -- A Healthy Option?

At the Sub Sandwich Bar, students get to make their own sandwich out of the available options: breads, meats, vegetables, condiments.

In my opinion, the Sub Sandwich Bar is possibly the most interesting food option at State High. It consistently offers something valuable, healthier, and tasty. Other State High students would agree with me. 

Freshman Andy Liu said “I loved it, I thought it was really nice.”

Connor Tate agreed. He enjoyed all the different condiments he could put on it. He also liked the format and the layout of all the ingredients. He added that he liked the texture of the sandwich and was positive about the effort they put into it. 

Freshman Nariman Cyrus echoed a similar statement, “I enjoyed it.” 

I think it should stay, and so do others. 

Liu agreed with me again. He thought they should keep it. He said that it’s a very nice addition to the lunch variety. “It’s also nice to see something so healthy, be so tasty at the same time” 

Vincent Pantano, another first year student, said “Definitely, keep it”. 

“Yeah, I think they should keep it,” Cyrus said.

Seems like most like it, including me. I do think, however, that there is room for improvement. 

For instance, State High uses online forms for all sandwich orders, and I agree with Michael Stockdale, a 9th grader, who said, “Well I enjoyed the sandwich, but I don’t enjoy the ordering process. So if they adjusted that, I would say keep it. But for now I’m going to say no [to keeping it]. Maybe if they made it more of an in person thing, it would be better.”

Upon further questioning, Stockdale meant that they should make the sandwiches in-person and allow you to put on whatever you want, there and then.

This is something that State High should definitely work on, but I don’t think it warrants taking the bar off the lunch roster. I did find that when ordering my sandwich on the online form, that you need to order it before 9:30 am, which can be pretty limiting. If possible, I definitely think they should make it an in person ordering process. 

So I enjoy it and the State High population does too. I asked students to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. Liu gave it an 8, Pantano gave it a 7, Tate gave it a 10, and Stockdale gave it 8.5. People agree with me that it’s a good lunch option.

I think that there’s more that could be improved. I would like more topping choices and an easier ordering process.

Tate wanted another kind of ranch dressing. Liu wanted them to add pickles, same with Ziu. Stockdale wanted olives.  For my part, I would agree with the need for pickles, but I also think they should add banana peppers.

I would say the Sub Sandwich Bar is a great option. It appeals to most and reminds me of the sandwich chain restaurants. It’s nice to see a healthy option at State High that is still tasty. Compared to pizza, the Sub Sandwich Bar is great. I would love State High to adopt in-person ordering, though I understand that the online form is more efficient for the lunch staff. I think in-person ordering would appeal to people, as it would encourage new students to order because of the simplicity of the process. I suggest that a survey of staff and students would be helpful in selecting which changes would be best.