Choosing Between Taking The Bus and Biking to School

Many people take the bus to school because it is the easiest form of transportation for them, but there are also others who prefer to bike. With the changing weather, some students may feel the need to change how they get to school, with it beginning to be too cold to bike or walk. 

Biking to School

Freshman Clayton Barger has biked to school everyday for the last year and a half. 

While there are multiple ways to get transportation to school, there are also reasons why students may choose to bike instead of taking the bus. Barger used to ride the bus, but he switched to bike riding because as a bike racer he wanted extra practice .

“For fitness, convenience, a good challenge, and it is even better for the environment,” Barger said. 

So in a way he is really helping out a lot with our environment by cutting down fuel consumption. According to Transportation of UCLA article states that “a moderate increase in bicycling each year could save 6 to 14 million tons of carbon dioxide.” 

Barger recommends that everyone tries to bike no matter what distance.

Taking the School Bus

Like many State High students, Freshman Cole Fitzgerald and James Morgan ride the bus everyday. 

They have both rode the bus since they started school. Cole rides the bus for 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon, while James rides for 10-15 minutes both ways.

Fitzgerald is not alone in this, as many students have been riding the bus to school their whole lives.  Some people may be on the bus for a short period of time like 10-15 minutes like James. But not Fitzgerald he is on the bus for a longer period of time.

Fitzgerald and Morgan have no complaints about the bus at all while some students might. 

I used to think that sitting in the way back of the bus was the ‘best seat in the house’, but now I just go for whatever seat I can find,” Morgan said.

But sometimes people will wonder if this mode of transportation was the best for them. 

“I have considered biking or walking to school since I don’t live too far away, but the bus is just such an easy and convenient way to get to school,” Morgan said.

Fitzgerald said, “People should take whatever mode of transportation is easiest but they should not be scared to take the bus.”

Since Fitzgerald and Barger are freshmen, they are too young to drive to school.  Riding the bus and biking are the options available to them at this time, but they both will be considering this option in the future. Until then, they will continue to go to school the ways they currently do. 

Both Fitzgerald and Barger both said maybe when the time comes they might drive to school, but for now they will stick the way they do. Morgan, on the other hand, said he will 100% drive to school because he is a big car enthusiast. But until then, he will stick to taking the bus

While some students get dropped off or drive to school, or walk to school, students’ preferred methods of transportation are unique to them and their situation. But as Fitzgerald said, students should “take whatever mode of transportation is easiest but they should not be scared to take the bus.”