The Best Place In School: The State High Fitness Club

The Fitness Center awaits for the students to get to work.
Carley Donnell

The Fitness Club has been an organization at State High for many years. It simply consists of a group of people who are passionate about fitness and making the gym a better place. The club is not only targeted towards student athletes, but to any student who is looking to have fun and improve their lifestyle or mental health. Lola Espinoza, President of the Fitness Club, shares a massive goal on behalf of her and her cabinet.

“One of our main goals of the club is to make the fitness center more inclusive to people who aren’t athletes,” Espinoza said.

This huge goal has always been an accomplishment for Diane Swauger, Fitness Club advisor.

“This room is for everybody. The blend of students that we see is my favorite part about the club. It’s a place where students want to be at school, beyond the school day, which is pretty cool,” Swauger said.

On the other hand, Espinoza also has some fun plans coming up for the club to those who are interested in competing.

“I have been brainstorming some ideas about creating a personal record (PR) board or even some little ‘minute to win it’ activities to do in the gym,” Espinoza said. These activities would not be enforced on students, but would always be available to them.

Despite the competitive side of fitness, Swauger believes that there is more to it than just exercising.

“Fitness isn’t always about running a 5k or lifting a thousand pounds, sometimes it’s just being consistent to work off stress,” Swauger said.

Espinoza added onto Swauger’s idea. She wants the Fitness Center to be a welcoming and fun environment for all students.

“We want people to come into the gym and feel comfortable coming into the gym as well,” Espinoza said.

The only requirements needed to join the State High Fitness Club is to be certified and to fill out a permission form. And of course, to show up and have fun.

If interested in becoming certified, click here for more information, and click here to sign up. Then, the final step is to fill out a permission form, which can be found here.

“I think people should join this club so that they can see if this could be an outlet for them to improve their quality of health now and the rest of their life. Some people it’s on the football field, some people it’s on the lacrosse field, and some people, it’s this room,” Swauger said.