Death of Downtown

Junior Claire Heaney and Freshman Kajsa Banks wander the streets of downtown looking for something to do.
Becky Mignot

Downtown State College, where most highschoolers spend their free time with friends, recently seems to lack enthusiasm about a day of hanging out downtown. As a junior, I have spent most of my free time with friends downtown. I’ve gone through the excitement of discovering all the cool, secret places, but as the years have passed those places have either become boring or have shut down. I want the same excitement as my freshman year self had, hopping from place to place under the summer sun, enjoying a day downtown but is that possible with the direction downtown seems to be heading in?

Most high schoolers know about the staple hangout spots and stores: Websters, Jamaica Junction, Uncle Elis, the Hub, as well as the countless chain restaurants and overpriced stores. For most, it can become overused and boring going to the same places week after week and having to pay for something at most locations.

“I go downtown about once a week to hangout with friends but the only things to do are to get lunch and go to a couple stores. It can get boring,” Sophomore Via Helling expressed.  

Even with the lack of options downtown, many students still go about once a week because of its close walking distance from the high school. Junior Alex Haskins explained her reasons for her frequent visits downtown.

“I’d say once or twice a week I go down there pretty frequently,” Haskins said.“I go after school to Panera mostly to eat food and study because I feel like that’s all you can really do.”

Many students share the same response, noting on the lacking activities. 

“I go downtown at least once every week and I go around to all the different stores like Jamaica Junction and places like that.”  Junior Chloe Rushing said. “I feel like it’s dying to a certain degree but there are also a lot of college students that are keeping it alive or at least the bars alive.”

Many of the shops and businesses downtown revolve around the college students, during the school year there seem to always be students standing outside the constantly busy bars, seemingly bringing life back to the dead streets. Even for the college students, there aren’t many options of things to do other than the bars or football games, especially since most are stuck on campus without a car. In the summer, many businesses will close or have a change in hours because of the lack of people going there. Students who live in State College and go downtown almost every week after school find no interest in going there in the summer.

“The only thing that’s there is to go to restaurants and clothing stores which get old after a while. It can be fun to go shopping with your friends a little bit but only going downtown to get something isn’t really fun anymore” Haskins stated. An article on stagecollege.com, written on Jan. 9 2024 explains that the available retail space for businesses has deceased 164% since 2013.The high rises going up throughout the town take away from the spaces for businesses and even though they do have retail space, it is limited and the rent is too high that most remain vacant.  Between covid and the multitude of high rises being built, many small businesses have had to shut their doors — to the dismay of many students. 

“There used to be that one place with all the pinball machines and one day they just weren’t there anymore” Haskins noted.

Downtown consists of two hangout spots, a couple clothing stores, and plenty of bars and fast food restaurants for the college students. If any empty buildings aren’t going to be built up into more student apartments, it’s going to be a food chain or bar because they are the only businesses that  can afford the rent downtown. The college tries to find more ways to make money, even if it kicks out small businesses. In the past places like Music Mart, and the Brewery and Bottle shop  have been threatened to be demolished just for a new parking garage. Taking away the last few small businesses still alive in downtown State College. 

Students offer ideas for things that could get more highschoolers down there again, or just more fun spaces and activities for the town. 

“It needs more hangout spaces where you don’t spend money or buy something, like 2000 Degrees is fun cause you get to paint something but you also have to pay and then bring like a little plate home” Haskins said. “There are no places just to hangout at or no like games to play. it’s just a lack of engagement.” 

Excitement needs to be brought back into the streets of State College. I want to experience the same enthusiasm for myself and others that downtown once brought. Even though downtown can never truly die because of the influx of college students and the money coming from the university, for most highschool students it’s not the same as it once was. New stores or more importantly activities are needed in order for downtown to be restored to how it once was, bustling with high schoolers. 

View Comments (1)
$165
$550