The Best Concert to Attend

What Makes a Performace Truly Powerful?
Photo of the Eras Tour taken in Pittsburg, PA.
Sarah Williams

There have been many memorable concerts recently, reaching from different genres. Anywhere from Drake to Boygenius; State College students made it a point to attend them all. But what makes a concert truly unforgettable is the venue, artist, and visuals. With all of this considered, only one concert stands alone compared to the rest in the year 2023. For many, including myself, it would have to be Taylor Swift’s world tour: The Eras Tour. 

On June 16, 2023, Swift made her way to Acrisure Stadium, performing back-to-back nights, completing her 20th show of the tour at that point. Many of her devoted fans, like myself, prepped their outfits up to months in advance, in attempts to truly embody Swift’s many different Eras. From the moment attendees step foot at the stadium, they can immediately hear the echoes of her 10 groundbreaking albums before the concert even begins. While entering the stadium, fans are handed a white wristband that will light up certain colors depending on what era Swifts performs and where they are seated during the concert. It’s these small details that Swift and her team cautiously make that create an out-of-this-world experience for her fans to enjoy. 

Throughout the concert, Swift takes her many fans through the past 20 years of music, starting with her 2019 “Lover” album, and ending with her most recent release “Midnights”. This allows a more diverse fan base to attend the concert, considering Swift performs her 10 different themed albums. The set list also enables fans to relive some of their favorite moments and songs from Swift’s career, while still being able to experience some of her newer releases. But what forces people to take notice of the tour, is not only the massive spectacle of her amazing music and vocals, but also the out-of-this-world stage show and performance given by Swift and her many backup dancers. 

Many congratulated Swift on her ability to shine a light on the corners of our lives through her storytelling ability. Focusing on the heartbreak, triumphs, and homesickness we have all experienced at some time or another. 20 years in, and it doesn’t seem like Swift will be stopping any time soon, with eager fans waiting for her next groundbreaking performance. 

While many agree that Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour is the best concert out there, some students at State High believe otherwise. 

Sophomore Mckenna Whitehurst attended Drake’s concert this past summer with her friends Cameron Mcneeley and Harper Campbell, on July 18, 2023. She explained what her favorite part of the concert was. 

“When we got into the stands, and Drake came out, he came so close to us I could practically touch him,” Whitehurst said.

In addition, she added how her experience was so special that she would love to attend another one. “I’m actually going again this March. I’m very excited, I know all of his songs; I can’t wait to scream them until my throat hurts,” Whitehurst said.

Sophomore Anna Patterson claims that Lana Del Rey’s concert was the best she ever attended. Patterson arrived at Lana’s concert with her friend Lilyana Williams this past October. She further explained why Lana Del Rey’s performance was like no other. 

“My favorite part of the concert would be Lana’s vocals throughout all of the performances,” Patterson said. Furthermore, she explained how the concert was more than just a concert for her and her friends. “One of my most memorable moments was actually after the concert when me and my friend listened to her music all the way home from Pittsburgh,” Patterson said. 

State High students have experienced their fair share of concerts throughout the past year. Some may believe that Lana Del Rey is the best, while others may favor Drakes instead. In my personal opinion, Taylor Swift has the most powerful performance.  But all State College students can agree, that there is no experience quite like a concert.

View Comments (4)
$185
$550