Dune: Part Two promotional poster.
Dune: Part Two promotional poster.

Dune: Part Two Movie Review

The first Dune movie came out in 2021, after a 28 part book series written by Frank Herbert, and “Dune: Part Two” came out just this year, featuring Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya playing lead roles in both.

“The first one really set up everything,” sophomore Tom Zipf said. Zipf also noted that the first movie was “Kind of like a book,” and more of an exposition to the world.  

“The foreshadowing that happened in the first one came to fruition. It was really satisfying,” Zipf added.

Some people didn’t feel too strongly about the movie, one of them being junior Sean McGarry. 

“I thought it was pretty good, not like top five movies of all time, but pretty good,” McGarry said.

One thing about the movie did stick out to Mcgarry though. “I liked the worm sand surfing scenes,” he said.  The sandworm surfing scene is a favorite of sophomore Jocelyn MacDonald as well.

Regardless of this popular scene being MacDonald’s favorite, she didn’t favor the movie itself much.

The plot of the main character was predictable.”Along with the issue of predictability, MacDonald also thought that Chanis’ character, played by Zendaya, lacked depth. “It felt like a very cliche love story plot that didn’t really match the main story,” MacDonald said.

Even though MacDonald wasn’t able to enjoy “Dune: Part 2”, she was able to appreciate the cinematography aside from the plot.

“The cinematography was amazing, I feel like that will definitely win awards later,” MacDonald said.

“Dune: Part 2” is likely to receive awards along with “Dune: Part One”, as the first movies won many awards, some including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, a Golden Globe for Best Original Score, and the Academy Award for Best Cinematography.

“Dune: Part Two” was a general success, with the film having a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and a  8.9 out of 10 on IMDB. The film has made around $500 million since it’s coming out.