Spring Mental Health Summit: Making Connections

State High students visit a station set up in the cafeteria during the Mental Health Summit
Hannah Smith

Students and staff around State High took part in another exciting Mental Health Summit on March 1, the day before spring break. These summits, which happen during the first two hours of the school day, allow students to take a break from their academic lives and engage in a variety of activities. From knitting, to hot chocolate stations, to glow yoga, there were dozens of activities for students to explore.

Sophomore Owen Viglione had a great time at the summit playing video games with his friends. “I like video games and I think [they’re] a fun way to spend some free time I have,” Viglione said. 

Teachers and staff members also expressed their enjoyment of the summit. History teacher Brian Smith enjoyed interacting with students during the summit. “I [enjoy it]”, he explained, “I think it’s a good idea to hit the pause button every once in a while and make connections.”

Viglione also stated how the summit is beneficial for students as it allows them to interact with their peers. “I think it makes people more excited to go to school and helps to bring together the [SCAHS] community.”

Having a summit right before spring break allowed students to connect with their classmates before the extended vacation, when they might not see each other, and Smith stated that the timing of the Mental Health Summit was perfect. “This addition of the spring break [summit] works really well,” he said.

State High students play games and relax in the library during the Mental Health Summit (Hannah Smith)

Viglione added an idea he’d like to appear in the future. “[I’d like to see] dodgeball,” he said. Other students share this athletic sentiment with Viglione, as “Group Games (Basketball)” was one of the more popular activities throughout the summit, including teachers getting involved in the fun.

Given the success of this year’s summits, State High will likely see them return in the near future. There will certainly be new ideas from the student body like Viglione’s idea of dodgeball, that would allow even more students to enjoy the day with their classmates.