State High senior, Patty Hennessey, hides from her assassin while wearing goggles and floaties to prevent herself from getting eliminated.
Carley Donnell

The Battle of Senior Assassin

The 2024 senior class of State High has just begun a highly competitive event of Senior Assassin. This year, they put a special twist on the game, where the students get to choose their own partners to create a duo.

Here is how the game works: One round is equivalent to about 1-2 week’s worth of time. Before a round begins, each duo is sent a random duo that they must eliminate by the end of the round. However, the duo must be cautious, as another active duo is trying to eliminate them. In order to make it to the next round, the duo must eliminate both targets before the time is up.

If one player of the duo gets out, the single is still allowed to compete and work to eliminate their targets. Once a duo completes their task, they are automatically safe from getting eliminated by another duo.

In the first round of the game, there was a rule permitting students to wear goggles or floaties to keep them safe from being eliminated. For example, if a student got hit and was wearing one or the other, they were always safe. However, as the rounds progressed, this rule was vetoed to add more difficulty to the game.

A few restrictions of the game exist where players cannot be eliminated during school hours, sporting events/practices, or intruding on students’ jobs. Other than that, everything else is fair game.

To eliminate a player, one must shoot them with a water gun. However, the evidence has to be recorded and sent to the Instagram page for it to fully count.

Senior Adam Shaheen is in charge of the game and runs the Instagram page. His partner for the game is Chef Suwannasaeng. Shaheen believes that his duo is unstoppable in the game. “I think we make a good team because we’re more competitive than some of the other teams and will always find a way to get our targets,” he said.

Despite Shaheen having a blast throughout the game, it comes with its challenges as well. “The most challenging part as a player is to find things about your target like where they work or what they do after school,” Shaheen said. His task is also a bit more difficult than others, being the manager of the game and social media account. “The most challenging part for me personally is definitely managing the game because it takes a long time to get all the matchups ready and post every video,” Shaheen said.

To keep the competitive spirits of the seniors rising, the Instagram account releases “Power Rankings” after each round ends. These rankings are based on the caliber of the elimination and how quickly players eliminate their duo.

Stenior Lindsey Weave, has had a terrific experience during the game. She was grateful that the activity required a duo because she got to team up with a very special partner: Raegan Dinant.

“I think we make a great team. Raegan and I have been best friends since we were kids, so it’s been fun doing this senior activity together. A lot of people didn’t think we would make it far, but we’ve made it all the way to the third round so I would say our teamwork and years of friendship have paid off,” Weaver said.

Additionally, Weaver loves the content that the Instagram page provides. “My favorite part about playing the game is going on the Instagram account and seeing all the creative ways people are getting their targets out. It’s funny to watch all the shock, reactions, and running in the videos,” Weaver said.

Students are appreciative of Adam Shaheen for organizing Senior Assassin. Best of luck to the remaining duos left in the game.