State College’s Molly Workman Takes Home State Champion Title

State Colleges Molly Workman swims the Class 3A 100 free in 49.31 to win PIAA gold at Bucknell Universitys Kinney Stadium on Mar 14, 2024. (Evan Wheaton)
State College’s Molly Workman swims the Class 3A 100 free in 49.31 to win PIAA gold at Bucknell University’s Kinney Stadium on Mar 14, 2024. (Evan Wheaton)

On March 15, Sophomore Molly Workman took home a state championship in the 100 Free at Bucknell University’s Kinney Stadium for the State College Little Lions Swimming and Diving team.

Molly Workman about to dive into the pool at Nittany Lion Aquatic Club pool June 14, 2014 (Jamie Workman).

Workman has been swimming competitively for the Nittany Lion Aquatic Club (NLAC) since she was five. She has also been on the State College Little Lions’ team since her freshman year.

Since then, Workman has accumulated an impressive amount of records, including 11 Top 10 All-Time State High records, six Team records, and five Mid-Penn Conference meet records. Workman is also the No. 1 swimmer in Pennsylvania’s Class of 2026 by Swimcloud.

The seven-time All-American swimmer mainly competed in the backstroke split on two medley relays, 50 Free, and 100 Free. On top of her individual performance, Workman also competed as the anchor in the 400 free relay crew in 3:27:18 with teammates, Ditta Kowalik, Grace Carrington, and Kelly Brownstead for a bronze medal.

Workman enjoyed her experience at Bucknell and is hopeful to go back again next year to collect her third PIAA title.

“[States] was super fun,” Workman said. “I got to hang out with all my teammates and it’s always fun rooming together. […] The energy on pool deck is always super fun and it’s just a great meet cause we get to rest for it and I mean our goal is to win it, so there’s a little bit of pressure, but I think that’s what makes it fun and exciting.”

“I have always loved the water. Both my parents were swimmers, so they introduced me to the sport. […] Making friendships and teammates are what keep me in it and inspire me to do it.” Workman said. She said her parents are her biggest supporters, push her to be the best that she can be, and thank them for all they have done for her.

Workman said, “I like how disciplined [swimming] is. You have to be very motivated and hardworking to get the results and it sorta is just a reflection of yourself and what you put in is what you get out. I’m happy with the work-ethic that it has taught me and I think that then transfers over to my school life.”

Workman is also a USA Swimming Academic All-American. She hopes to expand her already extensive list of records and top 10 performances this upcoming school year.

Molly Workman, center, awarded her gold medal after being crowned PIAA Class 3A champion in the 100 free during the state swimming championships at Bucknell University’s Kinney Stadium on Mar. 14, 2024 (Evan Wheaton).

Records

– Team 50 Freestyle
– Team 100 Freestyle
– Team 200 Freestyle Relay
– Team 200 Medley Relay
– Team 400 Freestyle Relay
– Team 100 Fly
– Pool 50 Freestyle
– Pool 100 Freestyle
– Pool 200 Freestyle Relay
– Mid-Penn Meet 50 Freestyle
– Mid-Penn Meet 200 Medley Relay
– Mid-Penn Meet 200 Freestyle Relay
– Mid-Penn Conference 50 Freestyle

Top 10

– Number 1 All-time State High 50 Freestyle
– Number 1 All-time State High 100 Freestyle
– Number 3 All-time State High 200 Freestyle
– Number 1 All-time State High 100 Fly
– Number 7 All-time State High 100 Breaststroke
– Number 8 All-time State High 200 IM
– Number 2 All-time State High 50 Backstroke split
– Number 3 All-time State High 50 Breaststroke split
– Number 7 All-time State High 50 Fly split
– Number 1 All-time State High 50 Freestyle split
– Number 1 All-time State High 100 Freestyle split