Dayglow during 'Close To You'. Apr 26.
Dayglow during ‘Close To You’. Apr 26.
Nubah
Categories:

“Who Needs Coachella When You Have Movin’ On?”

Movin’ On is a Penn State student organized concert that celebrates graduating students that are ‘moving on’ to better things in the future.The music festival is one of the top 5 largest concerts that are student-run in the nation. It first took place on April 26th, 1975 and is currently in its 49th year. 

Movin’ On’ began when four of Penn State’s biggest student organizations– Student Programming Association, Association of Residence Hall Students, University Park Undergraduate Association, and Graduate and Professional Student Association– came together to combine their funds and create one large music festival instead of the four small ones that they used to do. 

This year, the festival was led and regulated by two time executive director and Penn State senior Sofia Moussan. 

In an article by Bailey Straub, Moussan reflects on the 2022 Movin’ On festival and the performance by Fitz and The Tantrums. 

“Everybody knew their songs and there was a moment when I was dancing with my team and realized I wanted to do this forever,” Moussan said to Straub. 

The lineup of 2024 spanned a multitude of genres. From the alternative indie Dayglow to the hip hop Sexyy Red to rap artist Freddie Gibbs to indie folk The 502s. Admission was free and the night was a chance to unwind and immerse oneself in the diverse genres of music. 

The festival began with the Battle of the Bands winner Hot Fudge Yacht Club. Battle of the Bands is an initiative organized by the Movin’ On team that gives newly formed and local bands an opportunity to gain more coverage and be the opening act for the festival.

The 502s took to the stage, followed by Freddie Gibbs, then Sexyy Red, with Dayglow headlining. 

Along with music there were fun activities and accommodations planned which included a ferris wheel, games with prizes, an unlimited supply of Celsius energy drinks, and merchandise from the artists that performed. 

Sloan Struble, lead singer of Dayglow, introducing himself. Apr 26. (Nubah)

“[I went to see] Dayglow, it was magical, I love Dayglow. They ate. I got to live my 2021 dreams out,” State High senior Savannah Holes said. 

Dayglow, lead by artist Sloan Struble, had an ecstatic appearance at Movin’ On. It was also their debut in State College. Their setlist included hits ‘Can I Call You Tonight?’, ‘Close To You’, ‘Medicine’, and ‘False Direction’. They also played their, then unreleased single ‘Every Little Thing I Say I Do’, for a live audience for the first time. 

“[My favorite part about the night was] Sexyy Red and her vibe and the music,” State High senior Raina Barot said. 

Sexyy Red dancing during ‘Bow Bow Bow’. Apr 26. (Nubah)

Sexyy Red swept the crowd off their feet with her hits which included ‘Get it Sexyy’, ‘SkeeYee’, ‘Bow Bow Bow’, ‘Shake Yo Dreads’, and ‘Rich Baby Daddy’. Her act included her DJ, backup dancers, and endless crowd engagement. 

Holes and Barot both commend Penn State for the initiatives that were taken regarding security. 

“I think they did [take the right safety precautions]. There was a lot of security. The barricades were in place where they needed to be, and they were helping anyone who needed help,” Holes said. 

Movin’ On continues to be one of the biggest highlights of the year for Penn State along with a prized tradition.

$195
$550