See Amazing in All Children

Mike Hopp, Staff Writer

“See Amazing in All Children”, five simple words trying to make a more than simple impact. With the addition of Julia, a sweet, curious, and shy four year old puppet who has Autism, Sesame Street can show kids a model of inclusion with those who also have it. A study done by Georgetown University found the material helps families with autistic children feel more comfortable incorporating them in broader community activities, and that families whose children do not have autism are more accepting of those kids who do. State High is trying to do the same thing, even of on a smaller scale, to include everyone.

State High held their second annual light it up blue party, hosted by the special needs students. All students were invited to attend and wear blue. This party emphasized the inclusion of all students, and helped show that kids with special needs are just like everyone else. Harry Kozlek, a special needs student and one of the creators of the party said that it really helped with the inclusion, and it made him more comfortable. Kozelek’s teacher, Mrs. Brooks, thought this was an incredible opportunity, “This way they feel part of the community, basic human need, to be part of the greater whole than a subset that’s treated differently” but she continued that it was also important for the other students in the school, “For us, it was just as important to bring the high schoolers and staff to come in and meet them, and learn that Autism is not a big deal, they may seem different but it is not that scary. Just by inviting people in, it helps make them more comfortable. It’s an opportunity for everyone to be more comfortable.”

This party helped everyone feel more comfortable, and had some really positive feedback from those who went. Mrs.Brooks “Lots of people have stopped us in the hallway to say good things about it, we have gotten thank you notes, it’s great to read them to the kids.” This was a much more positive impact than last year, as over 180 people came to the party.

In summation, State High held their second annual light it up blue party, hosted by the special needs students. All students were invited to attend and wear blue. This party emphasized the inclusion of all students, and helped show that kids with special needs are just like everyone else. The party had over 180 people come to it and had extremely positive results.