Teacher Appreciation Scores

Grady Ballard, a freshman(9), makes quick save to stop State College from a turnover Thursday night. Ballard said he “felt like his passing was lacking” during the game. By the end of the night JV left the field 0-0 while varsity won 2-1.

Emma Ryan, Staff Writer

Thursday, September 21st was an exciting night for State College Boys Soccer. Under the lights of Memorial Field both JV and varsity played competitive games against Central Dauphin. Although both State College and Central Dauphin had great opportunities to score, the JV game ended with a final score of 0-0. Varsity made State College fans proud by ending the night by winning their game 2-1 in overtime.

State College gained an early start from senior Zach Price, who plays midfield and forward, when he scored the first goal of the night. The atmosphere “was really energetic and electric,” said State High freshman Will Kerber. After a grueling 4 periods of aggressive offense and ferocious defense from both teams the game was still tied, bringing it into overtime. Finally, senior midfield Fernando DelCastillo scored the winning goal.

A highlight from the night was seeing the varsity seniors choose some of their favorite teachers to bring onto the field for Teacher Appreciation Night. As a final farewell before they depart from State High, the players and their teachers shared some of their favorite memories together from over the years.

During the JV game, both teams played their best, but the game ended in a draw. Freshman defender, Owen Adams, believes that on a different day, State College could have ended with a win. “We had some pretty good opportunities and it was a pretty even match,” he commented after the game. His teammate, Curtis Walter, had similar feelings. “Both teams brought a lot to the table so it was fun to play in, but it was pretty difficult too,” said the sophomore defenseman.

State College Boys Soccer kept fans on the edges of their seats Thursday night and sent Central Dauphin home defeated. The team is anxious for the rest of the season and cannot wait for another win.