Athletes Commit to Furthering Their Careers

A+group+of+State+High+students+sign+to+continue+their+athletic+careers.+Kayla+Moran+said%2C+It+was+really+great+to+see+everyone+I+grew+up+with+being+acknowledged+on+their+big+accomplishments.+

Courtesy of Helena Hayes

A group of State High students sign to continue their athletic careers. Kayla Moran said, “It was really great to see everyone I grew up with being acknowledged on their big accomplishments.”

Lexi Kranich, Staff Writer

On, February 6th, 29 State College Area High School student-athletes signed to their respective colleges across the country. The girls’ volleyball team had the majority of athletes sign with five players. Co-defensive player of the year, Erin Lutz, signed with East Stroudsburg, as well as 4-year varsity starter, Jess Irwin. With 1,700 career assists, Leah Henderson signed with Indiana University of Pennsylvania. 2018 coach award winner, Kayla Moran, signed with Penn State Altoona, and Katie Finlan, co-defensive player of the year, signed with Roanoke College.

Elaina Ohlson of girls’ lacrosse signed with East Stroudsburg University. “It felt most like home,” Ohlson said. “The players made me feel welcome from the start, and my coach made me feel like I was a part of the warrior family even on the first visit.”

Ohlson’s teammate, Sally Stahl, signed to the University of Massachusetts. Stahl said,  “I chose the University of  Massachusetts because of the campus atmosphere and lacrosse program. The team is very close and I would feel empty without athletics in my life.”

From boys’ lacrosse, two-time Centre Daily Times inspiring athlete award winner, Ryan Franks, joined Susquehanna University’s team.

Local university, Penn State, will be adding six different athletes to their athletic programs. Football quarterback and wide receiver, Jaden Seider, signed with Penn State as a preferred walk-on. Midfielder, Kelsey Love, will join the women’s field hockey team. 2019 preseason all American, Tyson Cooper, signed with the men’s baseball team. Three of the six athletes joined the track and field team. Four-year varsity letter winners, Chase Longenecker and Lance Hamilton, will be joining the men’s track and field team.

“As soon as I stepped foot on the PSU indoor track on my official visit, I knew I felt comfortable calling Penn State home. I was beyond impressed with the team, Coach Kelly’s training style, and the rest of the coaching staff. After realizing what a great opportunity I had right in my backyard, I knew Penn State was the place for me,” Hamilton said. Their teammate and top five State College Area High School cross country runner, Kileigh Kane, plans on running both women’s track and cross country.

Ten other athletes will be staying in the state of Pennsylvania. Soccer player, Jess Lingenfelter will continue her career at Lebanon Valley College and her teammate, Erica Feese will continue hers at LaSalle University. Tanner Kuruzovitch signed with Juniata College to continue his volleyball career. Football players, Cohen Russell and Shane Cole will continue their careers at Slippery Rock and California University of Pennsylvania. Three year varsity letter winner, Anna Kwasnica, signed with Allegheny College cross country and track team. 2018 boys soccer leading scorer, Ben Vollmer, signed with Messiah College. Back to back district champion, Jared Houser, signed with Mount Aloysius.

Two athletes are headed to the University of Pennsylvania. Two time PIAA state tournament placewinner, Cole Urbas, will be joining the men’s wrestling team. 2018 pitcher of the year and IMBA national champion, David Shoemaker said, “Although my IMBA days are coming to an end, signing reminded me that I have bigger and better things ahead,” as he will join the men’s baseball team.

Three year varsity starter and senior year captain for the girls’ soccer team, Mak Graham, signed with Virginia Tech. Three-time district six champion, Grace Biddle will be heading up North to join the Bates College field hockey team. Adalee Wasikonis signed with Pitzer College’s softball team. Football quarterback, Tommy Friberg, signed with the University of Michigan as a preferred walk on.

All of the student athletes represented themselves, their families, and State High, displaying the exceptional amount of talent in the 2019 recruiting class.