State High Varsity Baseball Hits Off the Season

State+High+Varsity+Baseball+lost+to+Red+Land+8-2+in+the+season+opener.+%E2%80%9CWe+fought+hard+the+whole+game+against+a+strong+team%2C+and+I%E2%80%99m+happy+with+how+we+competed%2C%E2%80%9D++Jake+Cooper%2C+sophomore%2C+said.+The+team+overall+thought+they+started+off+the+season+well.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

State High Varsity Baseball lost to Red Land 8-2 in the season opener. “We fought hard the whole game against a strong team, and I’m happy with how we competed,”  Jake Cooper, sophomore, said. The team overall thought they started off the season well.

State High Varsity Baseball lost to Red Land 8-2 in the season opener. “We fought hard the whole game against a strong team, and I’m happy with how we competed,” Jake Cooper, sophomore, said. The team overall thought they started off the season well.

Zach Orndorff, Staff Writer

This last Wednesday, March 26, the State High Varsity Baseball team the lost to Red Land (Lewis berry, PA) for the season opener. Although State High’s dominant team lost by six points, they came back swinging the following game at Chambersburg. After seven innings, the final score was 8-2 in favor of Red Land.

Sophomore Jake Cooper was pleased with the start of his second year on the varsity team. “We fought hard the whole game against a strong team, and I’m happy with how we competed,” Cooper said. Jake Cooper is the brother of Senior Tyson Cooper, who’s committed to Penn State and has had three great seasons in the past. These two players along with the rest of the team agree that they played well. Going into this game the team knew how strong Red Land was.

Junior Jack Hurley in Wednesday’s game had one hit and two runs. Hurley is committed to Virginia Tech for Division 1 baseball and has been a dominant player for State High varsity baseball the last two years.

David Shoemaker a senior pitcher on the team also reflected on the game and also talked about Red Land as a team. “They are a really good team and I knew it was gonna be a tough game. But I knew we would bounce back in our next game in Chambersburg,” Shoemaker said. Shoemaker pitched very well as he struck out seven total players and only allowed two hits. The overall batting average against Shoemaker was .095.

Cole Wagner, who is only a sophomore now, was the star of the Mid-Atlantic Little League team from Red Land. They were the runner-ups in the Little League World Series in 2015.  Wagner is still a huge impact as he helped his high school team with two runs and two hits. Wagner also brought four RBI’s (runs batted in) and three stolen bases, which sealed the deal.

About the Writer
Zach Orndorff, Staff Writer

My name is Zachary Robert Orndorff. I enjoy writing, and talking, which is why I am here, in Journalism. But that’s not the only reason. I watch sports...