The Class of 2024 Paint Their Parking Spots

Dianna Halloran and her mother painting as they work on the spot together.
Nabil Mark

The State College Area High School opened up their school year strong with a fun and collaborative senior class activity. For the first time ever, the senior class had the opportunity to paint their own parking spots in the school lot.

The successful event took place on Aug. 18, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Painting was not required for the students, but it was highly recommended. For students not interested in painting, they simply picked up their individual parking pass for a total of $60 to park in the lot for the full year. However, the students who wanted to paint had to pay an additional $40 and buy the paint to customize their spot. That being said, all money made from the activity will be used for various student projects and activities throughout the school year.

Students also needed to bring a paper or digital design of their space that had to be approved by school administration. Once their design was approved, they were ready to go.

On the day of the painting, there were clouds looming at the start of the event. About an hour into the activity, the rain began to come down. Although the weather put a halt to the painting, the sun started to shine later in the afternoon. Many students were able to finish their spots on that day, but  those who did not complete their painting we given extra time.

Despite the inconvenience in weather, the senior class was determined to make their spots look flawless. From cleaning the spot, to rolling out the paint, and using stencils, each parking space was one of a kind. Numerous students even used inspiration from movies, celebrities, music, and more.

Whitehursts’ completed design shines in the parking lot. (Nabil Mark)

Maddy Whitehurst, a State High senior, created her own version of an album cover for her parking spot.

“I was inspired to do it because I love listening to music and wanted to incorporate that in it,” Whitehurst said. She had a positive time during the entire process. “I really enjoyed painting my spot because it was a fun, new experience and I think that it was a great way to start off my senior year.”

Dianna Halloran, another State High senior, painted a Sun Bum logo on her spot.

“I love Sun Bum and have their logo sticker on my car. I saw the phrase ‘Senior Bum’ on Pinterest and just designed my spot around that,” Halloran said.

When it came to the overall event, Halloran had similar feelings to Whitehurst.

“It was fun to see all the seniors together before school actually started and to make our spots our own for the year,” Halloran claimed.

To end the day, an ice cream truck stopped by the parking lot, as the class of 2024 rewarded their hard work and efforts with a tasty treat. State High had a great turnout for this event and they hope to continue the tradition for many years to come.