Ty Salazer Breaks the All-Time Receiving Record

Ty Salazer escaping a tackle in the Little Lions 31-13 road win over Central Dauphin
Ty Salazer escaping a tackle in the Little Lions’ 31-13 road win over Central Dauphin
Michael Powell

During the State High football team’s District VI Championship game this season, Ty Salazer broke the State High’s all-time career receiving yards record. 

Salazer — a junior wide receiver — and his coach and teammates agree that it is an impressive accomplishment this early in his career. Salazer has posted 66 receptions and 1079 yards over his three years at State High. 

“I looked down the list of guys that have their name on that record board, and it’s some really, really dynamic football players,” Little Lions head coach Matt Lintal said. “For him to be at the top of that list, especially as a junior, is extremely significant. I think he’s a huge impact player whenever he’s playing, but to be in the company that he’s in, and to be at the top of that list is really incredible.”

Salazer also felt strongly about breaking the record but emphasized that it didn’t hold as much weight as winning for the team. 

“I was expecting it. It was a long way coming, but it was exciting,” he said, “I scored a touchdown. I came off the field, and my coach told me [about the record], but it was a long way coming.” 

Salazer also talked about how breaking the record was an important accomplishment for him.

“It’s something that means a lot to me because I passed up a couple guys that I knew,” Salazer said, “[and] a couple of guys that I played with that are older than me and showed me all the things I know.” 

Salazer breaking the record wasn’t magic either. He works hard in the sport just like he does in other facets of his life. For example, Salazer also plays lacrosse, basketball, and holds a 4.5 GPA.

“Ty is one of those kids that excels at everything he does. He’s a three sport athlete: he’s a basketball player, a lacrosse player, and a football player, and he’s a 4.5 GPA student,” Lintal said. “He’s a kid that wills himself to success. It is hard work, it is effort, it’s his ability to have a high level of attention when needed. His ability to focus in practice, on and off the field, and in the classroom is truly something special.” 

One of his teammates, Matthew Gaul, a freshman on the varsity team, agreed.

“[He’s a] hard worker, always at practice, always working. He doesn’t take plays off,” Gaul said. 

Salazer’s pure athletic skill was a big contributor to him breaking the record. 

Gaul said, “I think he broke the record because he’s a good receiver. He can get past his defenders, and he’s really fast, so no one’s really catching him once he takes off.” 

Salazer’s hard work has garnered attention from many colleges and universities.

“He’s starting to receive a lot of interest, Patriot League, Ivy League, and other schools. I think this winter, here in the next couple weeks, college coaches will start coming through,” Lintal said,  “He had a tremendous year in all three phases of the game and is a dynamic athlete and player in special teams, defense, and obviously offense.” 

Salazer put in the work through the season and committed to himself and the team.

“This offseason — and even the offseason before that — I put in work, and I put in work every single day no matter what sport, boosting my athleticism, but specifically football. I’ve definitely taken a leap for myself this year, and you know my teammates, my coaches, previous teammates, they have all helped me tremendously.”

Salazer is still a junior and has another year to go at State High. He should continue to be an impact player and uphold his high standard of character and athletic dominance.