Are Teachers Stalling Stall Day?

Cora Bainbridge, Staff Writer

On March 6th, students had the opportunity to participate in Stall Day. Stall Day is a day used to raise money for Mini-Thon. But with the lack of teachers participating in Mini-Thon’s event, the amount of money being put  towards cancer research is plummeting. The annual school event, Stall Day, enables the students of State High to bring in change for their teachers to count, stalling class.

With our teachers wound to a tight schedule, some cannot afford to interrupt their class. Thus, giving reason for a majority of the teachers in this school not participating in Stall Day.

“We appreciate all the teachers that are participating. No matter the number of teachers we think it’s great that all these teachers are willing to stall their class to support Mini-Thon,” says Mini-Thon member Amber Kissinger, as she gives her appreciation to the participating teachers.

Out of the 170 teachers that hold eligibility, only 13 made the decision to participate in such an important day. This lack of participation has Stall Day at State High hanging by a thread. 

“We email all the teachers a google form asking whether or not they would like to participate in Stall day,” says sophomore Emma Benoit, Mini-Thon officer.

Teacher participation is a personal choice. But with the lack of teachers participating, Mini-Thon is wondering if they should keep this event rolling into the future.

“If the number of teachers becomes less than 10, we might have to stop doing stall day, and find another school wide fundraiser,” says Benoit

If there is lack of participation towards any given event, the club hosting that event evaluates other options to raise money. Mini-Thon was close cancelling, and the amount of money raised was very diminished as compared to last year.

“Last year the Stall day total was 1,200 dollars, while this year the total was 257 dollars,” Benoit says.

How well a fund-raiser does is put on the shoulders of students. When there are fewer opportunities to bring in money to support a cause, students cannot be put entirely to blame with the amount of money raised, or lack thereof. This year, $257 was raised and 13 teachers participated, making $19.76 raised per teacher. Which, considering the lack of participation, is a good statistic. The crucial part is the amount of money raised per period: $4.94. This amount is how much money each teacher would have made per period.

Lack of participation from the teachers shadows the bleek amount of money being raised for such an amazing cause. Taking into account the drastic decrease in revenue, more teachers should give Stall Day a chance in the years to come.

Cora Bainbridge
A teacher’s desk, without the stall day money jar.
“If the number of teachers becomes less than 10, we might have to stop doing stall day, and find another school wide fundraiser,” says Mini-thon officer, Emma Benoit.