Post-Win Riot

Trevor Steffen, Staff Writer

Grant Haley recovers from blocked field goal for a touchdown, and a few gripping drives later, Penn State beats the #2 team in the nation. After the Penn State upset of Ohio State’s undefeated year, fans predictably flooded the field celebrating the first win against Ohio since 2008. After all the turmoil of the Sandusky trial, this is monumental for the rough around the edges crew. The celebration and camaraderie continued downtown, and into the early morning. State College police department approximated 5,000-10,000 fans downtown, luckily State College PD was waiting on horseback.

Festivities kicked off downtown with a lamppost being ripped from the ground, and escalated from there into setting things on fire (trees, furniture, car), and uprooting signs. Police used mace to suppress overzealous fans. Public damages (not including private property) totaled $18,000. The police report recorded one injury from a thrown bottle, and a vehicle was damaged. The SCPD was assisted by state police, and other local police departments to contain the incident. Complaints came from those downtown about pepper spray foggers being used, but the SCPD said this was the most effective way to quell the crowd without coming into physical contact.The views on the damage done by fans vary extremely.

Even within fan demographics, people disagree about whether the damage was excessive or not. Some, like Noah Price, a sophomore at state high said “[The damage was] excessive, but expected.” Others thought that the event was uncalled for, and that the university should make a public statement. The Collegian published a statement on the riot, reacting to it negatively to the damage done.