Hopping For a Cure!

Pictured above is the t-shirt design for the National Honor Society’s Bunny Hop 5k. They chose to use the ribbon as a symbol for cancer research. Freshman Kyra Whitlark said, “I didn’t love the orange but it obviously meant something important and was symbolic towards the cause.” The orange ribbon has been known to symbolize kidney cancer.

Emily McDonlad, Staff Writer

Even though it took place after Easter, everyone was still in the mood to hop around Circleville for a great cause! The Bunny Hop 5K is an annual race that raises funds and awareness for charity. The run is hosted by the State College Area High School National Honor Society, and organized by LE teacher Mrs. Rand.

The proceeds from the second Bunny Hop 5K will support the Four Diamonds Fund in honor of Maryann Newcomb. Newcomb was a former State High student and also a National Honor Society member who is courageously battling leukemia. It costed $25 per adult, $20 per child/student, and $20 per team member. People were also encouraged to raise extra money on their own to support the Four Diamonds Fund. All of the money raised through this event was be put toward leukemia research.

The race consisted of runners, walkers and teams. Costumes were allowed and encouraged for this event in support of childhood cancer patients to make it fun, colorful and upbeat. There were prizes given out to the best-dressed team, the fastest runners, and the team which raised the most money.

Senior Lily Dochat said, “It was so cool to see how the community came together to support such a good cause.” Many people participated to raise money for leukemia research, but also because of connections to the National Honor Society, or to just enjoy some exercise. Senior Grace McDonald said, “ It was a little bit cold at first, but once we started running it got a lot warmer and we could really enjoy it.”

McDonald also added, “At first my friends signed me up and I wasn’t super excited but I definitely had a different opinion after I finished the race.” Overall the race was a huge success and it benefited leukemia research as well as the community of State High.