Ellis’ 5 Touchdowns too much for Carlisle

Jayson Villarouel, Staff Writer

The Little Lions won their first Mid Penn conference game in crushing fashion. The Carlisle Thundering Herd (3-1) came into Memorial Field looking to defeat State College (4-0), but the Little Lions stood their ground.

Making their presence known early, the Little Lions scored on a 15 yard pass completed by Tommy Friberg to Keaton Ellis for a touchdown with 7 minutes left in the first quarter. Carlisle knew not to throw Ellis’s way, but they did early, and consequently, Ellis intercepted the pass on Carlisle’s own 47 yard line with 6 minutes to go in the first.

However, Carlisle came back with a turnover of their own, recovering a fumble on their own 45 yard line. The Thundering Herd then proceeded to score on a 53 yard rushing touchdown from Tristyn Sulich. With the score tied at 7, many fans thought that they had a close game, but the Little Lions went on to prove them otherwise.

Tommy Friberg launched a 63 yard touchdown pass to Keaton Ellis, making that his second touchdown for the night. The quarter ended with the score 14-7 State College. The Little Lions staunch defense in the second quarter set the offense up for multiple scoring opportunities.

Kyle Domico blocked a punt to give the Little Lions the ball on Carlisle’s 34 yard line. State High’s offense wasted no time. Tommy Friberg completed a 34 yard touchdown pass to Keaton Ellis, making that his third of five for the night.

The Thundering Herd went on to orchestrate a long drive only to have it rudely interrupted by a 76 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown from Ellis for his fourth score of the night. The Thundering Herd tried desperately to fight back, but could only come up with a 15 yard field goal from Caleb Richwine.

The rolling Little Lions went on to put on a monster drive. Sophomore Dresyn Green got things started things off with a long run to give State High the pigskin on their own 33 yard line. Wasting no time, Tommy Friberg completed a 33 yard touchdown pass to Cohen Russell for his fourth touchdown pass of the night.

The Little Lions ended the half with 35 points up on the board to Carlisle’s 10. The Thundering Herd came out of halftime with what seemed like a burst of motivation. They capped off an impressive 64 yard drive with a 2 yard rushing touchdown from Jeremiah McDonald.

The Little Lions wasted no time getting points back up on the board. The duo of seniors Tommy Friberg and Keaton Ellis were unstoppable for the Thundering Herd. On the following drive, Tommy Friberg completed a 62 yard touchdown pass to Keaton Ellis, for Ellis’s fifth touchdown on the night.

Cam Renfrew knocked down the extra point to make the score 42-17, State High. The rest of Carlisle’s effort proved to be futile as they ended up punting to the Little Lions to give them the ball on the 50 yard line. After being held out of the first half for unknown reasons, junior Isaiah Edwards wasted no time letting us know he belonged out on the turf.

Edwards busted through the Thundering Herd’s defense for a long 50 yard rushing touchdown. Cam Renfrew was yet again successful on another extra point making the score 49-17, Little Lions.

On the next drive, Carlisle ended up punting the football to the ferocious home team. Isaiah Edwards proceeded to score on a 25 yard rushing touchdown for his second score of the night. The game ended with a score of 56-17, a complete blowout! The Little Lions faced the Chambersburg Trojans the following Friday.