What’s up with the Weather?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What’s up with the Weather?

This year, State College experienced an extreme shift in weather when
 transitioning from summer to fall. But what do these extreme weather conditions
mean for the future of fall? Photo by: Adrita Talukder

This year, State College experienced an extreme shift in weather when transitioning from summer to fall. But what do these extreme weather conditions mean for the future of fall? Photo by: Adrita Talukder

Photo by Adrita Talukder

Photo by Adrita Talukder

Photo by Adrita Talukder

Adrita Talukder, Staff Writer

It’s October! Now, what does that mean for most? Probably bundling up in sweaters and boots, hearing the crunch of fallen leaves as we walk. Up until the 2nd week of October, the average daily temperatures were high, ranging anywhere from 63-83°. Suddenly, the temperatures dropped from 70 degrees to below 50. So what’s with this sporadic weather change? Is it just an anomaly, or is it a recurring pattern? Is the future of fall at stake?

When looking at weather patterns in State College alone we see heavy rainfall, sudden changes in temperature, extended periods of hot and cold, and similar patterns exist across the country. There is a likely suspect behind the weather conditions: climate change. The rising temperature will only lead to more extreme weather. In fact, “over the last 50 years, much of the U.S. has seen increases in prolonged periods of excessively high temperatures, heavy downpours, and in some regions, severe floods and droughts,” according to GlobalChange.gov

Many may remember that last February, State College experienced summer-like temperatures with highs in the 70°s, and cold temperatures that lasted until late April. A similar pattern of weather was seen this year in the transition from summer to fall. If this shift to a more extreme climate continues, then transitional seasons like spring and fall may cease to exist, leaving only summer and winter, with sudden drops in temperature when transitioning from one season to the next.

Don’t give up hope! If you love fall and want to keep it around there are a few easy ways to make a difference.

• Carpool/Try to bike or walk to more places.
    • Doing so will reduce your transportation emissions!
  • Use your energy wisely… Energy-efficient light-bulbs, wash clothes in cold/warm water rather than hot, air-dry clothes….
    • Added bonus: You may save money by doing these!
  • Consume/make less waste!

For more tips, go to the David Suzuki Foundation.

Adrita Talukder, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Adrita Talukder. Some of the activities I'm a part of are TSA, Forensics, and I was also a part of the Girl's XC team in the fall. Some of my other...