Diversity and Activism Club Celebrates Diverse Winter Holidays

Members+of+State+Highs+Diversity+and+Activism+club+read+questions+written+on+a+beach+ball+during+a+group+activity.+On+Tuesday%2C+December+11th%2C+club+members+came+together+to+celebrate+diverse+cultural+holidays.+

Grace Roeshot

Members of State High’s Diversity and Activism club read questions written on a beach ball during a group activity. On Tuesday, December 11th, club members came together to celebrate diverse cultural holidays.

Grace Roeshot, Online Newspaper Co-Editor-In-Chief

Aside from the commercialized Christmas holiday that overrides many other holidays during the winter, the Diversity and Activism Club met to celebrate various cultural holidays. On Tuesday, December 11th, club members congregated to learn about different holidays within different cultures.

Students lounged around a table of treats while passing around a beach ball. Written on it were questions such as: What is your favorite meal to cook? Which fictional family would you want to be a part of? How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? The lighthearted festivities created a welcoming atmosphere for students to bond and discuss other cultures. Following the tradition of telling ghost stories at Christmas, they also debated the existence of ghosts and aliens.

Papers with information on diverse holidays covered a table in the the front of the meeting room. The papers provided information on Epiphany, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Newtonman’s Day, Christmas, Yule, and Human Rights Day.

Rosalie Kalupson, sophomore and club member, said, “It was really cool seeing what other cultures celebrate around this time of year instead of just Christmas.” The club aimed to highlight various celebrations other than Christmas, which is often the predominating holiday in media during wintertime.

Some believe that through education on diverse subjects, intolerance can be extinguished. “America is usually focused on Christmas and that’s very capitalized in itself. It’s a good thing to be educated on the ideas that other groups have–people who are different from you. It kind of helps–at least I would like to think–stop intolerance,” Kaitlyn Search, sophomore, said. “This meeting was a celebration of all religions, to be informative, to let you know about people of all different cultures.”

A draw to joining State High’s Diversity and Activism Club varies by person. Some come for discussion on current issues, and others come for the food. For Search, she said, “I joined because I had some friends but I stayed because I like what they do.” The club provides an outlet for high schoolers interested in activism and current events while fostering a welcoming environment. “I’m not really generally the most outspoken person and it provides a medium to go through and do that,” Search said.

Search recommends students to, “Stop by, see what we’re about. If you like it, stay. If you don’t, no harm done.”

Kalupson believes it is important to be aware of others’ experiences. “It’s important to realize the world’s not just you and your experience is not universal,” Kalupson said. “And even if you’re not participating in the activism part of the club, it’s important to at least be aware of everything outside of your life.”

The Diversity and Activism Club meets every Tuesday after school until 5 pm in room E133.