Karamo Brown Visits Penn State to Give Words of Advice

Karamo Brown spreads words of inspiration and wisdom. Caroline Simon, freshman, said, “I thought Karamo brought up points I have never thought about before. He explained things that would help change and modify things in my life that I didn’t even know I needed to take into consideration to fix.”

photo courtesy of Frank Scaramuzzo

Jacqueline Lawrence, Staff Writer

“Turn to your neighbor and say, ‘Neighbor, I am perfectly designed,” Karamo Brown, star from Netflix’s Queer Eye, author of My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing and Hope, and psychotherapist came to the Hub-Robeson Center at Penn State to inspire others to reach for their goals and take pride in themselves along the way. Karamo Brown is a member of the LGBTQ+ community and person of color who has faced many obstacles through his life due to his indifference but has allowed them to help him become stronger and more open to the opportunities around him.

Sydnee Rockey, junior, and attendee of the event said, “I was really inspired when he talked about setting boundaries with people and how when you’re giving advice and helping other people you have to think about your own well being before helping others. He also had mentioned how he doesn’t and has never used the term, ‘coming out’ when he talks about how he opened up to people about his sexuality, and that people should say they are ‘letting people in’.”

Madeline Lawrence, junior, said, “It felt relieving when he said, ‘there’s only so much you can do for others until you can’t. Sometimes all someone needs is some support and love along the way. Once you’ve done all you can, there isn’t anything left you can do but stand by there side through whatever they have to go through. He also mentioned helping them find someone who can do what you can’t offer and that you shouldn’t look at resources as a way of ‘giving up’.”

Caroline Simon, freshman, said, “I thought Karamo brought up points I have never thought about before. He explained things that would help change and modify things in my life that I didn’t even know I needed to take into consideration to fix.”

Brown encouraged the audience to find confidence and inspiration within themselves, he left his mark here at Penn State, encouraging everyone to never give up on themselves and their goals.