Balancing Sports and School in High School

Photo courtesy of Maya Ikenberry

Maya Ikenberry throwing a pass to a fellow Little Lions lacrosse player. “For me, lacrosse takes away any stress I have because I look forward to something I love doing every day, and I go into practice knowing I will be doing something I love,” Ikenberry said.

Jacqueline Lawrence, Staff Writer

Maya Ikenberry, freshman, is a player on the girls’ lacrosse team. While she is participating in sports after school, she also needs to take into account her school work and other academic priorities.

Although sports can be taken as a time to relax, school work can interrupt that mindset. Ikenberry said, “I think it’s important for schools to cut back on the work because at the end of the day, a kid’s happiness is what matters and giving us time to do things we love without having to feel stressed is so important. I’m not saying take homework away, because I know that it’s necessary; I can think of things from every one of my classes that I didn’t need to do to benefit my learning.”

Although Ikenberry admits that the pressures of school and the workload it brings worry her, she said, “For me, lacrosse takes away any stress I have because I look forward to something I love doing every day, and I go into practice knowing I will be doing something I love. It is so good for my mind and body to take a break from school and sitting in a chair for seven hours for two hours of fun exercise. One thing that brings back the stress is when I get home and realize I still have to do some of my uncompleted homework, though I am willing to sacrifice that time to do something I love.”

Ikenberry shows how it is possible to balance school work and sports. As a teenager, it is so important to find your own interests and make sure you are making healthy choices for yourself, physically and mentally. School may interrupt the way of certain parts of your life, but keep in mind that as long as you keep a healthy balance between the two, you will be able to do what you love as well as completing the things you may not love and enjoy as much.