State High Bands Come Together for the First Concert of the Year

Adrita

On Wednesday, November 6th, the State High Bands came together for their first concert of the year. Sophomore Nika Kello, a member of State High’s Symphonic Band, warms up for the band concert on her clarinet. “I had a wonderful experience at this concert. It was amazing to display the product of our hard work at many hours of rehearsals to our friends, family, and other music students,” Kello said.

Adrita Talukder, Staff Writer

The final note of “Hosts of Freedom” resonated through the State High Performance hall as the first band concert of the season came to a close on Wednesday, November 6th. The concert featured the Freshman, Sophomore, Concert, and Symphonic Bands. With roughly 213 musicians performing, the night entailed a variety of pieces, ranging from fanfares to hymns. While each band played separate pieces, all four ensembles came together at the end to play a combined piece: “Hosts of Freedom”.

The night started off with a performance by the Freshman Band. Performers played two pieces: “La Roquina” and “Highlights From Wicked”. Though the two pieces were of contrasting genres, they started the concert off on an upbeat note. 

Sophomore Band followed the Freshman Band. In like manner, Sophomore Band performed two pieces: “Old American Songs” and “The Lost Lady Found”.  “I did not feel we had our pieces totally ready,” sophomore Lucinda Kaye said. “There was also a deficit of tubas so during the joint piece we had to figure out who got to play and who didn’t. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by how we played.”

After Sophomore Band, Concert Band was welcomed to the stage. They performed “Navy Hymn” and “River of Life”. The two pieces were performed beautifully and held the audience’s attention until the last note. 

Symphonic Band followed Concert Band with four pieces; “La Peri Fanfare”, “October”, “O Magnum Mysterium”, and “Variations on a Korean Folk Song”. “I had a wonderful experience at this concert. It was amazing to display the product of our hard work at many hours of rehearsals to our friends, family, and other music students,” Danika Kello, a clarinetist for the State High Symphonic Band, said.

The night concluded with a combined piece from all four ensembles: “Hosts of Freedom March”. “My favorite memory from this concert was performing a piece with all combined bands,” Kello said. “Because usually, all the bands perform separately, I thought it was a great experience for us all to have a chance to perform a piece together.”

The night allowed for the bands of State High to share their work with the community. This will not be the last combined concert that the community will see from the State High Bands. On December 14th, there will be a winter concert featuring various holiday pieces.